Sunday, June 10, 2012

The summer The Mask was....SMOKIN!!!

I just finished watching Aladdin on ABC family tonight and then the movie The Mask starts. I can't resist watching either of those movies but it is 12:30am for gods sake! I'm trying to convince myself to only stay up until the Cuban Pete number is over....but I can't guarantee anything. Watching this movie makes me think of a lot of great memories, like when I got the awesome soundtrack for The Mask movie as a family day present. But, the first thing that came to mind was the summer this movie came out and the trailer scared me so bad I stopped watching TV until it stopped showing on TV! It was the summer of '94 and my brother and I stayed the summer at our grandparents. My grandparents had a huge 70 inch projection screen TV and we used to love to sit right up next to it and watch the amazing box in action. Well, one day I was picking something up that had fallen right next to the TV and the trailer for the Mask came on.


In the commercial Stanleys face was swallowed by a mask, he spun around in a huge Tazmanian Devil twister, his eyes popped out of his head and his tongue rolled out of his mouth and it scared the sh*t out of me. Can you imagine being right up next to 70 inches of that right in your face! Needless to say I was shaken up quite a bit by that. I didn't realize how bad it was until we were watching TV and it came on again. I freaked out and then decided I could no longer watch TV. Well, I still wanted to watch TV but didn't want to risk seeing this scary commerical. So, my little 10 year old mind figured I would be safe if all I watched was QVC and thats what I did. I only watched QVC the rest of the summer! It was extreme but I was safe lol. The movie came out in theaters and my Dad and brother (who is 5 years younger than me) saw it and loved it. Then, when the movie came out on VHS my brother had to get it. I think it was more to scare me than anything and it worked. I was terrified to even see the cover and my brother would use it against me any chance he got. I eventually saw it a few months after we got it and I ended up LOVING IT! That is why I cant go to sleep tonight, because I am watching a movie that used to scare the living daylights out of me and now I cant resist it!

So....I did go to bed but I had to watch Cuban Pete.....


Yep, totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment